Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hebrews 13:5

Each morning I receive a text of daily scripture. This morning it was Hebrew 13:5. Somehow God must have know it was exactly the right verse for me. In case you are not familiar with it here it is: "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said "I will never leave you nor forsake you.""

How many times do we say "I need this" or "I want this"? I know I say it more than I should. I am blessed! God blesses me each day. I have more "things" than most and I don't "need" anything else! But we long for more, for fancier, newer, nicer, just more. Why is it so hard to be content with what we have? Why do we think we need the newest cell phone or computer or new fancier car? WHY? We are human and we are selfish creatures. We only think about our selves 90% of the time.

We all are blessed! We have a roof over our heads, food on the table, cars to drive, the money to fuel those cars, jobs, electricity, the list is never ending. Some how though I think about what if we didn't have all this "stuff" in our lives? What if we lived like our ancestors? Let's be honest most of us wouldn't make it a day or a week or a hour with out this "stuff". But much like the Amish we would be alright living on what God has given us without all these distractions.

So the message I get from this is "stop trying to keep up with the Jones'!" Be happy with what God has blessed you with. For He will always take care of you! The next time you think you "need" something or "want" something newer, bigger, and better think about some one who has nothing. Maybe now is the time to start cleaning and getting rid of things. And always remember to put God first and thank Him for all he has provided you!

Candace

No comments: